Mar 22, 2004

Are Connections that Hard to Make in NYC?

So of course I start my day/afternoon checking out Craigslist. I have to say it is my favorite website and really addicitive. You have to love a place that allows you to find a job, get an apartment and find something to do over the weekend. In fact you can even check out what other cities are up to. So of course, I found my boyfriend on there. But it makes me wonder, how can it be so hard to find people? In fact people are looking for friends in there as well. I have now found my way there in this area as well.

Living in a big city with endless possibilities is great but at the same time it can be overwhelming and difficult to make connections. The other day my boyfriend said that he wanted to meet my really good friends, after thinking about it I realized they are still in my home town or have migrated elsewhere. I talk to them on the phone a lot and keep them up to date. "Well you still have connections with them and they mean a lot in your everyday life and I have yet to meet them," he says. I felt horrible - I mean I live with my sister and since I commute to the city (while waiting to get an apartment that is just right) and I do not see her all the time either. More and more it is becoming evident that if I am excited about living in NYC, work there and have a bf there - it is time that I obtain and retain serious ties with people in the city.

Happily, I am glad to see that I am not alone. There are lots of girls and guys that want to expand their social circles and meet people as well. I hope that this summer I will be able to meet a lot of cool people. In the past I have had lots of guy friends and am now in the quest to find those ever elusive friends that were a part of Carrie & Co. So let's hope that in the midst of summer parties, shopping and night clubs there will be cool people that definately want to hang out and have a good time.

The best way to put a step forward in the right direction is to make it known that you are out there. Prior to Craigslist I didn't know that there are so many people out there that in the midst of doing what they wanted to, were unfufilled in the areas of significant others and friendship. I have found that placing an ad and allowing others to know about yourself will find people that are just like you waiting to meet. In addition, joining groups that introduce you to new activities or favored ones. So I say this to say if you're out there and want to hang out, drop a line and maybe we can make up a group :-)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Kimmie
Founder Sikara Magazine & Sikara Designs
http://www.sikara.com

No comments: